Saturday, October 08, 2005

Drabs and Dribs

Quick hitters (as usual lately I guess).

The big plan for the weekend is getting the baby room painted, and getting set up to paint the library next weekend. When those two things are done and the debris is cleared out, I think we might be fairly officially "moved in." Oh, and when the new bed and loveseat arrive, but that happens this week anyways.

Bought a new lawnmower. I know, exciting. In fact, I'm making this post right now as an excuse to put off going and using it for the first time. In truth, we already had a lawnmower, but it was a push mower that I had hoped would work far better than it does (the old mower uses a reel instead of rotary, and the things used to cut greens at golf corses use reels...but I think the fact that they have a motor spinning the reels means that they cut better). Oh well.

Rode along the Mississippi with my brother again this week. Need to dig out all of my nightriding stuff, as we are about to complete the switch of seasons and loose the effective light...on the plus side, most of my nightriding stuff also is of the cold weather variety, so it will match the intended use.

Managed not to take leftovers home from fish fry this week. Still was a calorie catastrophy, but I started using Fitday.com to record calorie intake again, so fear of that fended off leftovers.

I feel bad for Brett Favre. He doesn't deserve to suffer through something like this. I hope they get things turned around and he sticks around like Elway did to enjoy it in the next 2 years. Doubtful, but we'll see.

How about Notre Dame! I'm very excited about the USC game next week...we'll see exactly what kind of a preparation coach Charly is, as he has 2 weeks to get ready for the Trojans. I can't imagine a better place to be than South Bend in early October for a football game. South Bend is one of those places in the country where Fall is truly Fall, and the leaves should be glorious next weekend. Plus 2 of the best college bands in the country and a great football game. It is days like next Saturday that suckered me into going there for 4 years.

And my last smidge of sports crap is to mention that it is gratifying to this diehard Brewers fan to see that there actually was/is a baseball fanbase in Milwaukee, it had just been in a deep deep slumber due to the Sal Bando GM era. Who could blame us? But it is fun to see them crawling out and realizing that there are more of us in the world. It is a little like the survivors of a nuclear blast coming out of their shelters and meeting the other people who made it through.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Some might call that "bandwaggoning." :)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Only if the team being described was good enough to deserve a bandwagon...not exactly there yet :)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mkae said...

I'm with you on the lawnmower, but I went the other direction. A combination of small yard / small budget / horrible gas prices / morbid curiosity / convinced me to buy one of those human-powered, whirling contraptions of death. I'm not even sure what to call it. It's like a grass shaver, I suppose. It actually works surprisingly well and small animals don't hear you coming until it's far, FAR TOO LATE!!!

Bwahahahahahahahaa!!!

Umm...sorry.

2:35 PM  
Blogger GiromiDe said...

Brewer fans need to visit their fancy new park more often, because it's embarrassing to have Cub fans fill most of the park for Brewer home games. Of course, it's embarrassing for Cub fans to fill any park given how crappy they have been.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

St. Louis 100 62 .617 - - 5-5 W3 10/2 v CIN, W 7-5 10/4 v SD, 1:00P
Houston 89 73 .549 11.0 E 6-4 W2 10/2 v CHC, W 6-4 10/5 @ ATL, 3:33A
Milwaukee 81 81 .500 19.0 E 6-4 L2 10/2 @ PIT, L 1-3
Chicago 79 83 .488 21.0 E 5-5 L2 10/2 @ HOU, L 4-6


Notice the order of the bottom two :)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home