Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Good Day

I had a really great day today.

I was feeling kind of stupid about dragging a pair of pedals from my bike around the country with me, and putting them back on my spare bike here, but it was worth it when Joe made it out this morning for one last ride. Nothing too strenuous, we just rolled around Pungo at about 17 mph and chatted. It was a nice day, not too hot, but plenty of sun.

Made a mess at the house (sorry my Kathy), grabbed some bagels at Panera, and bummed a ride from Joe over to Justin's for my going away present, the pay per view showing of Arsenal vs. the Russian mafia, er, Chelsea. Ed made it over too, and we yapped and watched soccer, drank coffee and beer, and ate chips, salsa and bagels. It was like having a hobbit meal...went on for hours, had lots of great talk, and ate and drank whatever. It will be a long time before I'll be able to do something like that again.

Justin made the comment that there was so much quality on display at the game, that it was more likely to be decided by the weak link on the field being found than a standout player making a play. I correctly predicted the weak link. Give Senderos another year, and he'll be fine, but not today. By the way Justin, I'm watching the EPL review show now, and the Pederson with the goofy hair plays for Blackburn.

Bummed another ride, this time from Ed, over to CK's, where my wife was hiding from the househunters in our joint. Disappointingly, we didn't drive over anything or body in the Jeep.

At CK's we talked some more, and watched a combination of Rams preseason football (when they had the ball) and the IRL race (Danica finished 8th) and ordered up some Chinese. While we were waiting for CK to pick it up, his LWC gave Kathy some solid advice on diaper changing. After that, we had some hot 4 player Mario Kart. Good stuff.

Finally came back to the house to make sure we caught the finale of Six Feet Under and Entourage (good thing the hotel I'll be living in has HBO so I can catch the last 2 weeks of Ent). I listened to my Dad's message on the answering machine, and he launched into a description of his day's activities down at Irish Fest in Milwaukee. I asked Kathy if she heard it (he had some nice words for her) and she kind of chuckled at his Irish Fest words and called him "a poor man's Wikipedia." HA! Too accurate.

So I got to see five people today that have meant an awful lot to me during my time here, and that I'll miss more than I can express. And I got to spend quality time with all of them. I can't imagine that it could have been any better.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

We had a great time too, just hanging out. We're gonna miss you guys a lot, which goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - not a lot to say...just that I DID check to see if you updated your blog.

Regarding spending time in the ucky hotel for the next few weeks; you are welcome to spend as much time as you care to at the homestead. The table soccer is always available and the neices and nephews have been practicing with an eye towards your emminate return.....

DON"T FORGET TO BRING THE PEDALS BACK!!!!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

http://www.tablefootball.com/Foosball_Tips.htm

But don't share with the nephews and nieces...

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

*sigh* I still haven't gotten over not going to Kallenbachs' every Friday night, and it's been over three years.

7:02 PM  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

I am truly sad to realize that the time I thought would always be there, isn't.

That the people I really liked I took for granted that they would always be around and are now leaving one by one.

And that I didn't spend enough time with any of them.

sadness...

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home