Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Cleaning Out


Cleaned Out
Originally uploaded by sethsdisciple.
With another change of house on the horizon, it is time to go through the ritual of clearing out the crud.

Pictured are three dressers, a ladder that I aquired from my old company (because a contractor had left it and Becky didn't want it), a pile of chairs from our first apartment, and crappy computer table. The table and chairs were taken by somebody during the night before the special pickup. K and I feel bad about the dressers, as they were antiques, but they had turned into Claudia antiques (more crumbly than useful).

It will be interesting to see what other artifacts turn up. So far, the old direct TV dish and reciever, any number of Star Wars dodads, a late 80s era Apple, an iMac (green), and several VCRs.

The challenge will be to figure out what of this stuff needs to be left behind. There are different reasons to keep things. Some of it is already boxed, and the move is payed for, so why not just move it? Some of it we don't really need, and will probably never open again, but can I really throw away the Factory Set of Star Wars version X Falcon Edition Limited trading cards?

All of these decisions don't just apply to stuff either.

I've spent some time thinking about what I thought I learned at the Company? Or more precisely, what was the lesson that I should have learned? That environment laid some real beartraps, so taking the right lessons into a more structured setup is going to be key. Interesting to see Mark and AA already discussing.

Work habits are going to be another issue. Some unlearning is going to be in order. I've already got some good rules in mind to start with. For instance, no laptop to meetings for the love of pete. Some way to kick the email monkey will also be required. More work, less things that can be justified as work, but really just get in the way of progress.

On the plus side, I won't have to go to any message boards to figure out how I'm doing. Process and management will be there to do that, or so AA leads me to believe. He also mentioned a week of training. Ah, it'll be good to get some of that. Being a self taught designer was nice and all, but it'll be good to have backing to add skills that help the company. So I guess I'll be adding more too (ok, that was a crappy tie in, sue me).

So, who thinks I can get the CEO of my old company to buy that 80's Apple as "vintage"?

9 Comments:

Blogger Mkae said...

You're assuming the old CEO has money to buy your Apple.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Mkae said...

As for what to leave behind, we had to agonize over that this week. We filled out second POD on Sunday and some things didn't make the cut. I think I'll do a blog entry on it myself.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Shocho said...

Everybody has an old iMac in the closet, but I'm burning to know: What model is the ancient '80s Mac?

7:16 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm fairly certain it's a Performa 460. One-a those really flat CPUs from back in the day.

Bought that one after my Powerbook died.

Hey, CK, if it boots, d'ya want it? :)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

To be clear, it was actually from 1991 or 1992. Nearly the 80's, but not quite.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Shocho said...

Nah, I don't think so, upon reflection. If I need an aquarium, I can use the iMac. Thanks.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Michael J. Hercus said...

I happen to have a genuine Mac SE (not the new-fangled SE30 either!) sitting in my closet.

Not only does it boot (off of a floppy, no less), it has a huge, massive, simply enormous 200 MB hard drive (external) that only cost me about $2000 at the time. It should be noted that the drive weighs about as much as the Mac SE itself.

Although I am quite attached to this piece of machinery, I would be willing to tender offers. ;-)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Major Rakal said...

Mkae said...

You're assuming the old CEO has money to buy your Apple.

ROTFLMAO!

6:24 PM  
Blogger TheGirard said...

Lost two out of three to the Brewers.. :( stupid bullpen

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home