Monday, August 22, 2005

Apparently...

I'm it...thanks K and CK

10 years ago today: August 23, 1995
I was is St. Louis working for the company I am about to return to. I was actually probably contemplating a move into a pretty bad neighborhood. It is my firm belief that there is no reason for a guy between the ages of 22 and 26 to spend any more than the bare minimum on the place that they live. That is the time to bank some money and pay off some loans. Nobody cares what your place looks like, cause ya ain't got any taste yet anyways, and you are still used to living in college dormlike squallor.

5 years ago today: August 23, 2000
Cripes, I guess CK was right that we were starting to think about LotR, truly a dream property at the time we signed on. I only wish we would have developed the initial design more. I wish we would have had the time, structure, and the last little bit of experience to do the property justice. We gave it a good go though.

1 year ago today: August 23, 2004
We were getting ready to launch WARS, or actually trying to deal with the monumental fuckup that was putting Rift in the title (and dealing with the threat of legal action because of it). I ask you, is WARS not the lamest name for a game EVAR? Shame, because the work we were allowed to do there was really great. God did we waste so much time and energy jamming into the uppers on that one though. That project should have been great, starting with Stackpole, with the design and development resources, and finally with Ed managing the Art side. As soon as I get my retirement redirected out of the Company, I'll have some words on that.

yesterday: August 22, 2005
Saying goodbye. It has all been said, but that was just words. Tonight it slammed home. God I am so fucking sad. God I miss you people already.

tomorrow: August 23, 2005
Trying to stop being so sad. Trying to figure out how to take as many of the great parts with me. Starting the wait for Kathy and Pavel to catch up with me.

5 snacks I enjoy
Queso, Krispie Kreme (chocolate topped, cream filling), McDonald's Fries, Wendy's Chili (with hot sauce, cheese, and onions), Panera Bagel (of either the asiago cheese or cinamon crunch variety)

5 bands that I know most of their lyrics
Violent Femmes, Yes, Dave Matthews, Rush, Talking Heads

5 things I'd do with a million $$
Make sure my kid(s) can go to school where they want, make sure I don't have to trust anybody else with my families retirement, take an Austrailian style vacation (a couple of months, not a couple of days or weeks), buy a new set of hockey equipment so I could play again (shit is expensive), start up a business.

5 places I'd run away to
Miller Park as long as Benny is there, Lambeau Field as long as Brett is there, Madison, Wisconsin on a hockey friday as long as my Dad is there, Anfield as long as Stevie is there, Disney World as long as Kathy is there.

5 bad habits I have
Getting too up or too down depending on how the Brewers do, not following up on days that are important to other people (birthdays and such), staying up too late, eating too damn much (damn your cookies CK), being a wee bit passive aggressive.

5 things I like doing
Design work, watching the Brewers, cutting the grass, blogging (strangly enough), gaming.

5 things I wouldn't wear (Halloween costumes excepted)
A hat besides a baseball hat, anything pink, anything Cardinals, anything Rams, anything Bears.

5 TV shows I love
Entourage (Hug it out, Bitch), Deadwood (Cocksucker), Battlestar Galactica, The O.C., Veronica Mars

5 movies I love
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Aliens (obviously far superior to Alien), Blues Brothers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and I guess Empire.

5 famous people I'd like to meet
Stephen King, Sid Meier (of Civiliazation fame), Alain Prost, J. K. Rowling, Robin Yount. I actually met someone who would have been on this list in the past, Chris Pronger of the Blues. But I learned something when that happened. I learned that I don't want to meet famous people who are the same age or younger than me. I feel like I should be looking up to them, but it is hard to do that with someone who feels like a peer when you are nose to nose.

5 biggest joys at the moment
The Kathy, Pavel, Winnie the Pooh socks and hat, moving closer to family, certainty.

5 favorite toys
MP3 Player, Guru (bike the 1), Felt (bike the 2), TiVo, laptop.

5 people to tag
I got nothing. The well is dry.

4 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

i will miss you

6:52 AM  
Blogger Arwen said...

Good luck with it all Tom..and congrats on the baby coming. I miss you also.

K

11:03 PM  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

Congrats on the job and the move! I get behind on your blog and everything seems to come together for you... LMK next time you're up against a crunch and I'll neglect you some more :)

One Q: Pavel? Chekhov?!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Anfield. Didn;t see that coming. Nice. More evidence as to why you will be missed by this fella.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home