Thursday, March 29, 2007

If I had to bet...

I would say that whoever invented Rock/Paper/Scissors had a 1 1/2 year old.

I could have invented it today, except it would have been Rock/Acorn/Dandilion.

The B spent our walk today swapping one for the other for the other. But after a couple of minutes, I picked up on the pattern.

As we left the garage, she picked up her customary 2 rocks from our garden (one for each hand...they are the chalky white kind). She toddled along, occasionally throwing them down, but only for a physics experiment, because she picked them right back up each time...that is, until she came to the acorns. Now, I have noticed on past days that acorn beats rock, as she discards the rocks totally. She then walked along doing more physics experiments with the acorns (as I picked the white rocks out of the neighbor's lawn and stuffed them in my pocket).

But today there was a new evolution, as spring has sprung in these parts, and there were dandilions about. And so, when she came upon the dandys, she threw the acorns and sat there playing with the flowers...she wouldn't move! Clearly, Dandilion beats acorn.

By that point, I was about ready to get back home, but she didn't want to leave the dandilions...I'd take her hand to lead her away, and her legs would turn to jelly. Dandilions...baby crack...who knew?

But you know what beats dandilions? Rock baby! Good old rock. I pulled them out of my pocket, she squeaked, and chased me back towards our place, weeds completely forgotten.

All I'll say is that whoever invented Paper/Scissors/Rock isn't a very good parent. Whoever heard of letting your 1 1/2 year old play with scissors?

4 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

This is an awesome story!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Child rearing, as told by a game designer.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Dave(id) said...

Top post of the month club. Good stuff.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home