Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bride and Prejudice?!? WTF?


Bollywood-a-polloza
Originally uploaded by sethsdisciple.
I seem to be on some sort of Pride and Prejudice kick lately. Kathy had been watching the Keira Knightly version on cable for a while last year, even buying it (and the sound track!) eventually. I kind of paid half attention to it (enough to get the conclusion a few times, but none of the first two thirds really).

When Joe and Erika stayed a few days over Christmas, we watched with them (both versions!), but there was lots going on, so I somehow managed to duck most of the plot again. BUT, when we were out buying audio books for the trip to Denver, I found PandP for 20 bones (which is a great deal for a 10 disc audio book). We didn't listen on the trip, but I've been working through it on my way to and from work. I finally got caught up to the part where Darcy fixes everything that he broke, so on Thursday we watched the DVD again, this time I actually paid attention from the beginning. I thought this was kind of the end of the road for this kick.

Then, this morning during one of my "Saturdays with the B" sessions, I was tripping through the movie tier looking for something to throw on in the background, and saw "Bride and Prejudice." Huh? The description reads "Director Gurinder Chadha ("Bend It like Beckham") has her cast sing it like Britney and Usher in this breezy tunefest which updates Jane Austen's 1813 novel to 21st century India."

Really? Well, I like Bend It Like Beckham. The B likes music, so what the heck. Besides, I've never really seen a Bollywood musical, and I do like the music in BILB.

So far the B has danced, the dad has turned out to be the same dad from BILB (who I really like), the mom has turned out to be embarrasingly screwy, and Bingly has turned out to be Said from Lost (which was a nice surprise). But the music hasn't been all that fun...hoping it gets better.

Edit: Holy cripes, Rori from Gilmore Girls is Darcy's sister. The adaption of Collins is fun too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

You are watching Indian re-imagining of classic English literature and noticing actors who you recall from a movie about soccer inspired by Becks.

Please report to yur local council and return your American citizenship.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home