Saturday, June 10, 2006

Shadows Over Camelot


Shadows Over Camelot
Originally uploaded by sethsdisciple.
Or Schatten über Camelot if you will (and I won't).

Kathy and I headed over to U City to the house of one of the guys I work with for game night. Steve (said gamer) seems to like to pull everyone into one game, and we had 7 people, so we played Shadows Over Camelot.

I was a little leery, as it is a cooperative game, but Kathy digs the cooperative games, so that was a plus.

It is actually a little like that goofy Lord of the Rings cooperative game that John Howe did the art for. But I found SoC to be much more fun.

Where as that LotR game had everyone always working together, in this game, each player played a knight, and the goal was to get all 12 swords onto the round table, with at least half of them being black. To do so, the knights have to split up (or team up in somem cases) to do quests.

There were 5 or 6 quests spread around the board, some of which were solo, and some of which multiple people could help with. Each quest (even the ones the knights aren't at) are constantly moving towards a bad end, unless the good guys can step in and get them done. So there is constant tension all over the board.

And the kicker is that one of the players could be a traitor, trying to to thwart the others...but there is only a chance that there might be a traitor, in our game, there were 7 players and 8 avialable player cards (one being the traitor). In the end, there was no traitor, but the dynamic seemed fun. A little bit like looking for the mole.

The game mechanics do rely on the players avoiding table talk about what they hold, but it wasn't too bad.

Anyways, if your group likes the cooperative effort (even as the change of pace) I'd have to say that I could recomend this game.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

mole like games are fun.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you can't say "I have 3 Grail Cards in my hand" but there technically is nothing stopping you from saying "I can stay three more turns at the Grail Quest."

My tentative and untested solution is to be able to openly discuss anything with people at the same location. Everyone else at the table can only listen.

Even with bending the rules, we find it difficult to win. Oddly enough when we included two people who typically don't play this sort of game, we managed a win.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Ah, playing board games...I remember those days...

1:03 PM  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

I've played SoC once. I was fairly indifferent to the whole experience. As you say, though -- it's way more fun than the Lord of the Rings coop board game.

I'd play SoC again if someone pulled it out. I don't think I'd ever request it, though.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home