Thursday, November 10, 2005

By Popular Demand...

The White Salsa (Salsa Blanco)

1 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbs. chopped garlic (or 1/4 tsp dried)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbs. sour cream

Mix all.

Let stand 3 hours in fridge (Tom's note: if you don't wait, it will taste like a mouthful of Miracle Whip).

For those of you paying attention, I wrote the recipe exactly as it appeared in the paper where Kathy found it (and it has remained in my recipe notebook along with my uncle Bob's spaghetti recipe...don't worry Aunt Polly, I'd never post that here). See anything funny? Unless I miss remember incorrectly, 1/2 tbs = 1 1/2 tsp, but they have them listed like that for different ingredients. Always struck me as odd, but I still got out the tsp measure for one and the tbs measure for the other. After all, there is witchcraft in a good salsa blanco, and who am I to break the spell?

7 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

Awesome man, I just printed it out. Me gusta mucha la salsa blanca. Sabroso!

10:01 PM  
Blogger TheGirard said...

gracias mi amigo

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mkae said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kindralas said...

As Reynolds said, hence, you can't manufacture, reliably, a half tablespoon via teaspoons, which is why it's listed as such in the recipe.

Too much math in cooking...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Maybe I'm too blase, but I just made a double batch and (gasp) I didn't even measure the garlic. I just estimated how much one clove garnered and I went to town with that garlic press.

If it was baking, as all Alton fans well know, I would have respected the chemical reaction and measured precisely. But this is dip! It must be felt from the heart. Or something.

If it's a disaster, I'll own up.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, so what does one serve with Salso Blanca?

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home