Monday, July 25, 2005

Comfort Food


Hot Sammich
Originally uploaded by sethsdisciple.
So I was riding along today and planning dinner in my head. Was it time to start the watermellon diet I had heard about? Not a bad compliment to cycling, carbs and fiber (just add a little protein and it is probably about what I should be eating).

K got home from work though and looked beat. I asked her what she wanted for dinner, and when she started naming ingredients, and I knew it was on, the hotsammiches. With all of the waiting going on lately, I thought some comfort food might be in order.

The hotsammich is food from Kathy's youth, and boy are they good. Especially the little crusty bits that leak out onto the foil in the oven.

Ingredients:

Ham (small squares)
Turkey (small squares)
White Cheese (mozzarella typically, small cubes)
Yellow Cheese (cheddar typically, small cubes)
Sweet Relish
Chopped Black Olives

Stuff it into half a pita, wrap in foil, add heat. The sweet relish is the key...mess up that, and they are just all wrong.

Evidence

Heh, those three and about 6 more. Not exactly the watermellon diet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mkae said...

It really is amazing the therapuetic effect that "comfort food" can have on you.

Now we have recipes on the blogs!! Next week, I'll show you all how to make doilies!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow, that looks SO GOOD!!!! I have a weakness for Gyros, that damn foil wrapper reminded me of them... Dang it!!!!

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew about baking pitas... looks amazing.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Shocho said...

You should use Claussen relish. It is the BEST EVER.

Look forward to the pita doilies.

7:47 AM  
Blogger stuffle said...

That looks really good. Seems so obvious, but like kitkat, I never actually thought of baking pitas like that...

I'll have to give them a try...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Don't even ask what the measurements are. There aren't any. I'm sad to say, if you don't know what the mixture is supposed to look like, it will be hard to get the ratios right.

To attempt to approximate, here is what went into the first batch of stuffing in case y'all want to make them yourselves (dice the first five ingredients):

- Four pieces of deli-sliced ham
- Four pieces of deli-sliced turkey
- About three pieces of deli sliced salami, which were a little bigger than the lid of a big pickle jar (forgot the salami on your list, sweetie!)
- Between 1/3 and 1/2 a block of mozzerella cheese. You know the blocks I mean, a little bigger than a dollar bill.
- Same amount of cheddar
- A little less than half of a small can of diced black olives
- Between 1/3 and 1/2 of a very small jar of sweet relish.

That may have been a little low on the cheese. Add more if you like it. I was trying to limit the calorie damage. That mix above made either nine or ten of them, I can't remember.

The mix should look like it's about 45% meat, 45% cheese, 5% olives, and 5% sweet relish. Even if you don't like sweet relish, it will taste good here. I hate it, but I love hot sammiches.

Enjoy!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Speaking of calorie damage, I must have been blocking out the salami :)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home