Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Thoughts From the Road


Jan's Grimace
Originally uploaded by sethsdisciple.
I try to model my Mask of Daze after Jan Ullrich. That guy knows how to look like he is suffering. I had that look for the last 20 miles of the 50 mile ride today. I think I scared some wildlife.

It is nice to come home from the ride and see tasty Chinese food waiting for you. Especially when you had no idea that it would be waiting. The dumplings were good.

When I stopped at the shop at 4 p.m. to have my new pedals adjusted, one of the people watching the wrench do his magic said "you're pretty tough to be going out in the heat of the day." I said, "or pretty stupid." Actually, I wanted to go out eariler, but was still dealing with yesterday.

90 degrees with 100 degree heat index is actually quite hot.

You know you are on good cycling roads when you can ride for 2 hours without clipping out of your pedals once.

Accelerade tastes bad when it is cold. When it has been cooking in a water bottle for 2 hours, it is nothing short of putrid.

Song of the day:

I'm Nothing by Violent Femmes

I-m-n-o-t-h-i-n
I-m-n-o-t-h-i-n
I’m nothing’
I’m nothin’
Are you a republican or a democrat
A liberal fascist full of crap
I’m nothin’
I’m nothin’
Somebody somewhere might be something
But everybody everywhere
Knows that I’m nothin
Politics and dirty tricks
I got no time for stones and sticks
Politics and dirty tricks
I got no time I’m chasing chicks
I’m nothin’
I’m nothin’
Somebody somewhere might be something
But everybody everywhere
Knows that I'm nothing


CK may have been right, and I need to pull the Yes songs out of the rotation.

It is always easier to suffer during a ride on days when you watch Tour de France riders go up a mountain for 45 minutes. How can you feel sorry for yourself after watching that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

Sometimes when I'm walking I wish I could organize my playlist by BPM, like a DJ (gasp). You know, start slow and then get faster. God, I've got 1500 songs in my iTunes, I should be able to make something good for this purpose.

Yes is for um, maybe, when you're stoned, I don't know. It's becoming almost unlistenable to me now. :(

7:02 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Yeah, it makes me sad. It seems so out dated now.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home