Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Special Agent Tom?

CK's post does a nice job of summing up the atmosphere of a Job Fair. Except mine was in a hotel with the pool area right outside the door (and it is about 90 in St. Louis). So it was hot and I was in a suit, and the pool made it steamy, so I was sweatin'. I'd go and talk to one group, and then go outside to regroup, and forget the pool was out there waiting to make me sweat worse. So then I'd have to go to the cooler part of the lobby to stop and towel off. And I had to hoist around everyone's shwag and try to keep my pack of resumes from getting too crumpled.

I think that is why the tell you to bring a bunch of resumes to the job fair. So you can wreck 10 to 15 of 'em in shwag juggling and still have enough pristine ones to give out.

On the shwag front, I got a reading light, a small notebook and pen, and a cool stick/gummy dart that you can throw at computer monitors.

I talked to a bunch of technical people, and if I had those conversations to do again, I would do better (one of the reasons for coming out was to get some practice).

When I went up to the company that I really want to get in with, the guy scanned my resume, looked at me and said "have you applied on line? Because that is the only way to get your resume in front of the managers for the jobs you are applying for. I'll show this around to the other recruiters." And I thought two things. First, why did I just talk to you (unless I misunderstand how much good him showing it around will do), and second, did I just get blown off? I'm hoping that he meant that assesing my resume and situation, I'm already doing everything I can, which is possible given the very strict procedure they have for filling job postings. I saw the guy showing someone else the job website when I walked up, so the people they had there may have just been directing people to it.

Other interesting things. I talked with a guy with a company that was down from Milwaukee. He said my last name, and said it sounded familiar. I asked him where he went to high school, and sure enough he went to Thomas More as well. He was there right between when my brother and I were. But that wasn't where he knew the name from. He is that company's contact for a project my brother is working on (my brother recognized his name and told me that, this guy didn't remember while we chatted).

And I stopped by the FBI booth to see what they had for engineering. The conversation started with me saying "Well, I'm kind of curious about what you guys are looking for?" Dorky, but I was! Turns out that the engineering plant is all in Quantico, which I'm not too keen on. But then she said "how old are you?" I told her, and she said, "ever think about being an agent?" Well, now, hmmmm, hadn't considered it...

11 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

That whole mystique with the FBI and Secret Service is amazing. When I saw the ad in the paper, I scanned the list of companies at the Job Fair, and somehow I wanted to go because the Secret Service was there. Weird.

7:01 PM  
Blogger TheGirard said...

DUDE that's awesome. Tom in shades and a pin stripe suit that is cut long so yer gun doesn't stick out in the back. That would be awesome. I would need to get a picture taken with you.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I saw a special on TV a year or so ago about applicants for the FBI (or maybe it was the Secret Service). Apparently, they come from all walks of life, not just law enforcement, military, etc. (as you probably know if you watched the X-Files), but you'd probably be the first game designer-cum-FBI agent.

OTOH, the training regimen is pretty harsh. Not as bad as military training, I'd guess, but there's no lack of physical exertion.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Tom you would be a great agent!

9:35 PM  
Blogger DrHeimlich said...

Throw into that career, and soon you too will be able to regularly have phone conversations that start like this:

"Lischke? It's me."

"[Partner's last name], where are you?"

10:02 PM  
Blogger erika said...

dude, my roommate would hate on you so bad if you did.

also:

-tom, what do you do for a living?

-i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You are not allowed to become an F.B.I. agent. I will not let the baby get taken by aliens or end up with cancer because someone comes along and puts a chip in my neck.

But seriously, you are not allowed to become an F.B.I. agent.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Dave(id) said...

One door closes and 5 others open. Funny how that works. The sweating part was hysterical, next time put anti-perspirant on your face :-) Good luck!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They'd probably pair agent Lischke up with a short female, and the 2 of you could give each other dirty looks everytime you switched driving and had to adjust the seat.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

But Kathy, if he was an FBI agent, think of how easily he could "remove" someone you didn't like!

3:29 PM  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

If you decide to join the FBI, you can put me down as a reference. ;)

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home