Saturday, June 25, 2005

Some Cycling Notes

The Tour starts next weekend. I hope I have a job by the time the Tour ends, of course, but I will enjoy watching the stages in some more detail this year while I can.

Some key days for the tour:

Saturday, July 16 into Ax 3 Domaines (mountaintop)

Sunday, July 17 into Pla-d'Adet (mountaintop)

Saturday, July 23 Saint Etienne (time trial)

Maybe I'll come down for some d'Egg breakfast and and watch a tour stage or two with B-rad on the 16th and/or 17th. I can almost hear Phil Liggett, the voice of the Tour, now. "And Armstong looks magnificent today."

Speaking of good audio, I picked up an MP3 player to accompany me on the bike (don't tell the cops). I'm starting to figure out what songs seem to make the legs go
'round a bit faster.

On the good list:

Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Desire - U2
Fat Man - Jetro Tull
Heart of the Sunrise - Yes
Found a Job - Talking Heads
Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads
Just a Ride - Jem

On the not so good list:

Just about any Rush stuff
The O.C. stuff except that Jem song
Any thing to soft to hear a beat over the wind
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (I thought that would have been a good one)

Still to be tried, but with potential:

Beastie Boys

Any suggestions?

I'm also thinking good thoughts about John, the very talented wrench at my local bike shop, Fat Frogs. Any bitchy little thing wrong with my bike, he drops what he is doing to hook me up. This week he changed my pedals, installed a new brake cable, uncorroded my rear break, and fixed my creaking seat (which was actually moving and causing me knee problems). For that, I made a batch of spaghetti and brought it to him for lunch today.

And unrelated to cycling, my dad left a message on my answering machine today from Miller Park while the Twins were beating the Brewers 5-2. Then Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder hit home runs and the Brewers just won 8-7. I can't wait to return that phone call!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the live versions of Burning Down The House and Life During Wartime?

11:29 PM  
Blogger TheGirard said...

Good song for your mp3 player

Dare - Stan Bush

or pretty much anything from the Transformers the Movie soundtrack.

When you stop laughing, actually look into it. ;)

1:31 AM  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

To pedal fast, try Paul's Boutique or Hello Nasty by the Beastie Boys. You'll still need to skip a couple of tracks but these are their most consistently up-tempo records IMO.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

16-17th sounds great!

On my workout playlist, some songs like U2s "I Will Follow" and Pink's "Just Like A Pill" but both seem to reference running in my mind.

The oddball song on my workout playlist that seems to keep me going in Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" - *shrug* who knew? But it works for me.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Shocho said...

Wow! Heart of the Sunrise! I can't pedal to that, no way. Guess I'm still an amateur.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home