Sunday, July 09, 2006

Selfish

313.5 - 1483

I was cheering for France...right up until Zidane did something that I have no hope to account for. A friend of my father's, and a great hockey man (he was an assistant coach at Notre Dame for a while) once defined penalties of falling in to two categories. Good penalties (perhaps it prevented a scoring chance) and selfish penalties. There are really no other kind.

Zidane did the most selfish thing I could imagine.

In other news, my coed team lost 3-1...but at least I got run around. I got totally roasted by a kid at the top of the box on their second goal...he toyed with me for a bit until he turned me and beat our keeper. If I was lighter on my feet I think I could have easily have stayed with him.

4 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

what is the second number?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can we get a third # for physical activity calories burned pls?

11:02 AM  
Blogger stuffle said...

Zidane's move was certainly classless. Personally, I wanted to see Italy win, not because I am a great fan of Italy or anything, but just because they are not the French... :)

I would add a third category of penalty, which I would argue is the largest category in some sports, and that would be "accidental". Most offsides (in any sport that has such a rule) calls, for example, are really just a missed timing. I would put a lot of the calls in Football (NFL), Hockey, Soccer, and (to a lesser degree) Basketball in that category.

Unless, of course, you are just talking major infractions. In that case, ya, there probably are only the two categories...

9:01 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Mmm, I think I'm only talking the major stuff, and maybe only about hockey penalties, and maybe cards in soccer being sorta somewhat equivalent.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home