Monday, August 14, 2006

Peekaboo


Peekaboo
Originally uploaded by lostonpurpose.
300.5 - 1201 - 373

Back from GenCon. I really had a great time seeing a long list of people. Had a lot of great talks with people too. Lots of fun. Thanks for everyone who hooked me up (or offered to...thanks Jason!).

Mark even hooked me up with a badge. Now I'm going to tell a funny story about that badge (at least, I hope Mark finds it funny).

I was having a cup of coffee at the 4bucks across the street, talking with a moustashed member of Sony Online, when a man came walking up to say hi to Scott. After they talked for a while, Scott introduced me to the new (president? head guy, in any case) of WizKids. He looked at my badge to get my name (which, of course, said WizKids). He didn't say anything about it, so maybe he didn't notice the company. Scott introduced me as someone who used to work at Decipher, so he might have made a connection. I'm betting he could care less in any case, but if he asks Mark, you know why...

I also got to see Airforce and confront her about causing me to spend untold hours watching Gilmore Girls.

Jim Colson did a drive by on me while I was demoing Stargate. Jim may be the nicest guy in the whole world.

I ate like a fat guy (it was a planned dietary excursion...if you look at the numbers today, I'm back on track and didn't back up too far). St. Elmo Stakehouse, Shepherds Pie at that Irish Bar outside, and lunch at Champions (and the first good club sandwich I've had since d'Egg in Norfolk).

Finally, I looked at and played a bunch of games. The most unexpected of the group was Pepper, a game designed by Matt Mariani of all people. He described it as "4 square with cards." For $5, I bought a copy. I always like talking to Matt, and wish my current softball team had him hitting cleanup.

Friday night we played my fresh copy of Power Grid with team Sony Online, and my traveling companions, Justin and Joe. Justin won by $1. I tell you so he won't have to. But I'm sure he will as well. Thanks to Evan for 'splainin' the rules (in his usual fine form). It really was great getting to do some gaming with Evan again.

Finally, funniest line of the weekend went to whomever described Jason R0binette as "the Flying Dutchman of the game hobby." I think Mark gets credit for that.

Second funniest line of the weekend went to one of the H1nes brothers telling Apollo from BSG at the signing table that he'd be right back with some cards to show him how to play. Well, actually, I'm not sure that was funny.

3rd funniest thing of the weekend was watching Justin try to order a glass of water, and the 30 second ordeal that ensued. Erika, you better have read this far.

But the best part of the weekend was getting home on Saturday night to give the B a kiss goodnight (/sappy father).

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I think Robinette may have competition for that title, if current trends hold...

3:42 PM  
Blogger Mkae said...

It was awesome to see you too Tom. Lunch was fun and no, I didn't hear anything about the badge. This is Lax's first summer of hobby gaming cons so he wouldn't really question anything. :)

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home